Have you ever been at your desk and listened to a phone call ring at a colleagues desk on the other side of the office? Have you wanted to answer it without having to run across the office? With RingByName's Remote Call Pickup feature, you can answer a phone call without leaving your desk by simply dialing a pick-up code and the extension number you wish to answer.
Remote call pickup is used for picking up a call that is ringing at a specific extension number; this feature is accessed by dialing a specific code plus the extension number you wish to answer. A telephone set can only pick up one call at one time.
How to remote call pick-up from the web application:
- From the home screen on the dashboard, you can answer a call that is ringing once the call status tile changes color to yellow to indicate an inbound ringing phone call. If remote call pick-up is permitted for that extension, a call pick up icon () will appear in the top-right corner of the tile. Click on the icon, and the call will be redirected to your telephone.
- Answer the call when your device rings.
How to perform a remote call pickup from your telephone dial pad:
In order to use remote call pick-up you must dial the remote pick-up code 78 followed by the extension number of the person whose call you want to pick-up.
Let's assume that you wanted to answer the call ringing across the office on extension 123, you would:
- Pick up your handset
- and immediately dial the extension number you would like to pick-up
If your dialing without dial tone, dial the full 5-6 digit code 78101
(for extension 101), and lift the handset.
If your dialing with dial tone, be sure you dial all 5-6 digits 78101 (for extension 101)
In order to prevent calls to your extension from being picked-up, your administrator must disable remote call pick-up in the web administration area.
Click here for more information.
In order to enable or diable remote call pick-up to a team members' extension please follow these steps:
- Login to your RingByName account at https://login.ringbyname.com
- Click on your name in the top right corner and click on your name, then click on "System administration" from the drop down menu. If it does not appear, then you do not have administrator permissions to your system.
- Click on "RingByName Setup" from the navigation bar at the top of the screen.
- Click on the "Users" icon located on the left side of the screen.
- Click on the name or extension number you would like to enable or disable remote call pick-up for.
- Scroll down to the Remote call Pickup option area and click to enable or disable the feature for this extension.
- Click to apply your changes.
No, unfortunately calls that are delivered into a call queue cannot be remotely answered. Calls which are placed in queue are delivered to a specific group of preset individuals and in a set order which cannot be accessed remotely.
If you attempt to dial a remote call pickup to answer a queued call, you will hear a busy signal.
There are two reasons why you may not be able to remotely pick-up a call. These are:
- The administrator has disabled remote call pickup for the extension you are attempting to answer (it is enabled by default). If you attempt to answer a call for an extension where the feature is disabled you will hear a message stating "your call cannot be completed as dialed".
- The call is being delivered to a call queue and cannot be answered while it is waiting for an available representative. If you attempt to remotely pickup a queue call, you will hear a busy signal.